Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Spring Verona Dress for Little Momo

Spring is officially here!  It's time for a spring dress...a kind of dress that would put you in a happy, cheery mood :)    Ironically we had a winter-like weather this weekend, with low temperature and cold wind.  But when the sun was out, it was nice to spend time in a beautiful garden.

 I had little time to sew something before Momo's spring break, but I could not decide what to make.  So I let Momo choose...at least the fabric.  I had wall cabinets built in my new sewing/craft room, to organize my stash fabric.  I love how I can see what I have in one wall, and so does Momo.  She thinks my room now looks like a shop.  So I let her "shop" in my little shop and pick a fabric.
The entire room is not yet organized well enough to share.  But at least my fabric cabinets are!

And Momo picked out this cotton tulip print I got from Japan. To be honest I was a little surprised.  I have more eye-catching prints I think Momo would like.  But I'm happy with her choice...it is lovely and perfect for a spring dress.  With the fabric chosen, I knew immediately I wanted to try Verona Dress pattern that I bought last year.   
I have told myself I was not going to buy a new pattern, unless it's something really different and special.  And Verona dress is...I love the look of the collared neckline.  It's not just another simple round neck line!
And what pushed me to buy this pattern is that no zipper or button required!  Easy for me to make, easy for Momo to dress herself!

I made size 4T with added length.  I cut size 7 length and still ended up with the above-knee length.
I chose the round cap sleeves, the look I liked the best among the many sleeve options.
 To please Momo, I made the skirt fuller.  Personally I think the original skirt looks better with this pattern (the designer knows the best!), but I need to make this little girl happy if I wanted her to wear the dress ;o
The neck opening is not very wide.  I like how modest it is, but it's too modest for Momo's big head.  ;o  I checked the neck opening while making the bodice, and found I would have to pull it down hard for her to wear it...of course Momo did not like that :p   I cut the back neckline lower to solve the issue.  This seemed simpler than cutting a slit and making the button loop closure at the back.  
I did not have a good fabric to compliment this tulip print in my stash, so I had to buy the solid yellow cotton.  But I did knock down one stash fabric!  :D  I do have the stash fabric problem... I do not regret buying those fabrics, but I must admit I have bought more than I could sew.  The cabinets photo above shows only one side of the cabinets. There are other cabinets that hold knits, fleece, special occasion fabrics... ;o   But Momo has chosen another fabric for the next dress.  Together, we will free those shelve spaces!







Linking up to those fun parties.
                                                     



6 comments:

  1. It's very satisfying to work through the stash and free up space!! I really love the collar and underlining of that dress. She chose a great print, and that color is so pretty on her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress. She definitely picked the right fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful, like your dresses always are. I think Momo made a good fabric choise, I really love the print and the bright colors. The yellow fabric is perfect!

    I love your fabric cabinets, I have also tried to sew more from my stash, I really need more space too :).Girls just yesterday picked fabrics for their birthday dresses, so I can finally get to sew some nice dresses too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Momo is so lucky to have you sew such beautiful dresses, Annie. I can imagine how pleased you are with your new cabinets. Now Momo can see your fabrics at a glance, she'll want to choose her own fabric for each new garment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful dress, great style and patten on the material :)

    Thanks for stopping by Creative Mondays ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just darling! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's bash. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/05/make-pretty-monday-week-175.html Hope to see you again at the party! Have a happy week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...