Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Butterfly Dress for Little Momo

Project Run and Play's week 3 theme is "Boho Chic."  My thought when I read the announcement was...hippie!  But then it needs to be "chic" too.  It did not take long for me to think of what to sew. I had this fabric and the pattern I wanted to try with it for some time, and thought this could be seen as Boho Chic.


The pattern I used is McCall's M6690.  As you can see, it's marked as "Easy" pattern.   Well it may be easy for most people, but it was not for me. There are side pieces to this dress/tunic besides front and back pieces, and I am not used to that kind of construction.  The instruction is written in simple sentences, but I had hard time understanding it.  I knew I prefer indie PDF patterns over those big maker paper patterns, and this pattern confirmed that.  I find the indie sewing patterns' instructions are generally clear and easier to understand.
I took my time, made errors and re-did some steps, and this "easy" pattern cost me 2 sleepless nights and more.
My choice of fabric did not make things easy either.  It's a sheer polyester fabric, very light weight and slippery.  Cutting this kind of fabric itself is a challenge.  While cutting the fabric with tissue paper helps, I found one of my piece was not cut correctly, and I had to shorten the dress length.   
The bodice is fully lined.  I used light weight knit as lining and that worked well.  
Momo was not happy when she first saw the dress...the fabric was not her choice, and the dress did not have a twirly skirt.  But then she put the dress on, and she loved how light and flow-y it is, and how she looked in it.  She felt like she had become a butterfly!
The round neckline is finished with bias tape and button closure. The neckline is actually wide enough that Momo does not need to use the button to wear this dress.
I knew it would be a bit too big on Momo, but I made size 5T, since the dress ties with a belt anyway.
So Momo loves the dress.  It's big enough that Momo can wear it as a dress now and as a tunic later.  At the slow rate Momo is growing, she should be able to wear it for 3 years.  The only problem is...the fabric probably will not last that long.  It's a delicate fabric and easy to get pulled.  She has already done some damages just by playing in it at home.
That is too bad...because I was able to make an infinity scarf for myself with the same fabric for the matching look.  I had a little over 2 yards of the fabric and that was just enough for my scarf and Momo's dress.
We enjoy taking pictures of each other taking pictures of each other :)

Since Momo loves the dress, I am willing to give this pattern another try.  But I will have to be more careful with the fabric choice.


Happy Spring!





                                                     



9 comments:

  1. Adorable. I love that dress and her hat!! I wish I could find that pattern in bigger sizes, it looks like everything in the stores my 12 year old likes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The hat was a cheap find from Hobby Lobby! It is big on Momo, but it may not be big enough for a 12-year-old.

      Delete
  2. Your pictures are stunning!!! I wanted to make a similar top but was snowed in and unable to get fabric. I don't find those patterns to be "easy" either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard as it may have been to cut and sew, the flowy fabric suits the style perfectly - I love the sleeves especially. She is growing up so quickly - no longer a little girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annie, I've featured your adorable butterfly dress today.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty dress! I love how flowy it is, I hope the fabric surprises you and lasts longer than you think it will. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she was willing to try a new style because it really looks adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out so pretty! My little loves taking pictures of me too : )

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...